The AJC Peachtree Road Race starts in Buckhead near Lenox Square Mall and ends in Piedmont Park.
- 6:43 a.m. - Wheelchair Race
- 7:18 a.m. - Women's Elite Start
- 7:30 a.m. - Main Start
View start map here.
View road closures here
Start wave assignments for the AJC Peachtree Road Race are performance based. Start waves are assigned to participants based on the time submitted at registration.
Start wave standards are used as a guideline each year to determine wave placement. Start wave standards are determined based off the range of qualifying times that were submitted during registration. During the verification and assignment process, it may be necessary to adjust the standards from the previous year in order to accommodate the range of qualifying times that are submitted and the volume of runners within the physical space allotted.
Start Wave Standards
In 2016, we made adjustments to the start waves to help improve and simplify the start line experience. Seeded runners will continue to line up at the start line in front of Wave A. Those that have historically qualified as a “sub-seed” will now, based upon the new time standards, start in Wave A. The start time for both the Seeded Wave and Wave A will be at 7:30am.
We know you may have some questions about the changes and we hope they are answered below.
What is the reason for the change?
Several different waves starting at the same time created unnecessary confusion and no real benefit to the runners in those divisions. Combining those waves makes timing the runners more manageable, efficient and most importantly accurate.
Can I submit a new time?
All times submitted during AJC Peachtree Road Race registrations are final and cannot be changed.
What changes for me?
Other than the markings on your bib, nothing will change. You will still be among the first group to begin the race.
Are runners in Wave A still eligible for prize money and awards?
Overall awards, prize money, Top 1,000 and Top Georgia Resident* are based on the official race gun times. Women in the seeded section and Wave A (7:30 a.m. start time) will not be eligible for overall prize money or overall awards as there is a separate elite women’s start (7:18 a.m.), however they will be eligible for Top Georgia Resident. Female registrants who would like to be considered for the separate elite women’s start at 7:18 a.m., please contact [email protected].
Men in Wave A are eligible for prize money and awards. With no separate elite start, male Wave A and seeded runners begin at the same time (7:30 a.m.) and compete for the same prizes.
*Valid Georgia driver’s license, non-driver ID or utility bill addressed to finisher required for Top Georgia Resident prize money.
Start Wave Placement Details
Below are rules and guidelines for the start wave assignments:
- Participants wishing to be placed in the appropriate start wave will need to submit their finish time from the previous two AJC Peachtree Road Races or any other USATF certified race - 10K, 5K, 5M/8K, 15K, 10M or 13.1M- at the time of registration. To check if your qualifying race is USATF certified, search here. If it is not certified, you will be randomly placed in one of the last start waves.
- Participants need to provide the race name, date and net finish time (chip time) at the time of registration. Your name must match exactly what is listed in the race results or else your time will not be verified.
- Participants who do not submit a time during registration will be randomly placed in one of the last start waves.
- Times will not be accepted or changed after registration has been submitted.
- Atlanta Track Club will verify submitted times. If times cannot be verified or the time submitted is not from a USATF certified race, participants will be randomly placed in one of the last start waves.