Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Atlanta Track Club for fresh articles!
The Virtual In-Training for Fall Half Marathons program is designed for the both the beginner and experienced runner or walker hoping to improve performance over 13.1 miles or finish for the first time. Designed to fit your racing calendar, the program will guide you toward a course best at the event of your choice. The 14 week* program combines structured long runs with additional mid-week workouts to help you reach your goals while training at home.
New in 2020, the Virtual In-Training for Fall Half Marathons features:
- Certified coaches and volunteer Run Leads to guide you while keeping you accountable
- Digital learning opportunities most Tuesday evenings at 8:00 p.m. led by Atlanta's running experts including veteran marathon coaches and racers
- Additional customized training levels to meet your fitness and experience
- Deals and discounts from running specialty stores and sponsors
- Daily text/email reminders of workouts powered by Final Surge
- Online platforms to build community and camaraderie
Note: This virtual training program does not include entry into a fall half marathon.
*In some cases, the program may be shortened. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in training with Atlanta Track Club but need to reduce the length of the program.
Date & Time
14 weeks before your fall half marathon
- Half Marathon - 13.1 miles
- $105 ($30 per month)
Registration Cut-Off Date
September 15, 11:59 p.m.
- May 23 Registration opens
- July 2 Orientations begin online at 8:00 p.m.
- July 5 Training begins for earliest races
- September 3 Final orientation
- September 6 Training begins for latest races
- September 15 Registration closes
- *When CDC recommendations for limiting gatherings expire, these group workouts may resume*
- Wednesday Workout Locations: Participants can attend any of the Wednesday locations. Please see newsletter for the specific details. Participants should arrive 15 minutes early to warm up and stretch.
- Cheney Stadium, Track, Atlanta, Wednesdays - 6:00 a.m.
- Peachtree Middle School, Track, Dunwoody, Wednesdays, 6:00 p.m.
- Piedmont Park, Active Oval, Wednesdays - 6:00 p.m.
- Swift Cantrell Park, Flag Poles, Kennesaw, Wednesdays - 6:30 p.m.
- Tucker High School, Track, Tucker, Wednesdays - 6:00 p.m.
- More to be added soon!
$105.00 ($30.00 per month), virtual training only
- Refund Policy: Virtual training registration is non-refundable and non-transferable
- 14-week training program
- Tiered online training log to meet your goals and provide daily reminders of workouts
- Weekly In-Training Newsletter with training tip video content and articles
- In-Training for Fall Half Marathons private Facebook group
- Online education including certified coach and Run Lead "ask me anything" sessions
- Online presentations by our guests including time for questions and answers on various educational topics including proper footwear, apparel, nutrition, goal setting, injury prevention, recovery and more
- Run Lead and coach to check in on your progress at regular intervals
The program is open to all runners and walkers that are training consistently.
- Level I: beginner runners and walkers 9:00-18:00 minutes per mile including intervals attempting to finish their first half marathon
- Level II: runners and walkers 7:00-16:00 minutes per mile including intervals currently completing 15 or fewer miles per week attempting to finish their first half marathon or improve upon an earlier performance
- Level III: experienced runners and walkers 7:00-16:00 minutes per mile including intervals currently completing 16-30 miles per week focused on improving on an earlier performance or being at their best on race day
- Level IV: advanced runners 5:00-10:00 minutes per mile pace currently completing 31+ miles per week and at least one speed work session or tempo run per week dedicated to being at their best on race day
We will kick off the program with an hour long online orientation in which Coach Amy will discuss the program's routines and expectations, explain Final Surge and its benefits, and answer your training questions. 8:00 p.m. on Zoom three days before your program begins.
Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club, Lead Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Olympic Development Team, 2008 Olympian - 10,000m Eric Heintz, Atlanta Track Club, Director - High Performance Patrick Peterson, Atlanta Track Club, Olympic Development Team Athlete, Assistant Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Youth ProgramsCoaches' Profiles
- Nutrition and hydration
- Injury prevention
- Goal setting
- Race day nerves
- Course strategy
- Sports bra basics
- Heart rate training and effort-based training
GUESTS AND SPEAKERS
- To be announced soon!
Frequently Asked Questions - Virtual
I am not technologically savvy. Will I be trained on how to use all of the digital tools in the program?
Yes! Orientation, online videos, downloadable documents, and more will take you through the process step-by-step to maximize your experience.
Customization and Coaching
What do you mean by customized or individualized coaching?
The program offers a variety of training levels based on mileage, experience, and goals. The program also provides the tools to customize your paces for easy runs and walks in addition to harder workouts such as tempos and speedwork. Participants have the ability to move training days based on their work and life schedules. While a certified coach will look after your training and keep you accountable, it is not a personal coaching program with unlimited access to the coach.
Are there opportunities for interactions with coaches?
Yes! Tuesday evenings often feature online education sessions including opportunities for questions and answers. Coaches and Run Leads, experienced volunteers who assist with the program, are also present at midweek workout locations for in-person conversations. Your coach will also be available through email any time and in certain circumstances by phone.
Will I be able to schedule weekly one-on-one calls with my coach?
No, but you do you have unlimited digital correspondence and access at midweek workouts and online educational sessions.
Are group interval/speedwork sessions included with this program?
Yes! Although current CDC recommendations do not permit gatherings such as our midweek workouts, when the time is right we will begin to meet again.
Are supported, group long runs sponsored by Atlanta Track Club included with this program?
No; however, many participants meet at a variety of locations throughout the Atlanta metro area for informal group long runs. When CDC recommendations change and the time is right they will begin again.
Become a Member
Did you know as a member of Atlanta Track Club you receive a discount on all events. Join today to begin receiving discounts and the many other benefits of membership!