Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Atlanta Track Club for fresh articles!
Registration opens December 1st!
The Virtual In-Training for Publix Atlanta 5K Beginners Program is designed for participants hoping to finish their first 5K, the Publix Atlanta 5K! The program is intended for both runners and walkers and combines structured workouts while training at home, at satellite locations and together at the Atlanta Track Club headquarters for two critical workouts. It is free to all those who have a valid 2021 Atlanta Track Club Membership but is limited to the first 50 registrants. If you are not yet a member, you can join here for just $35 as an individual!
New for the 2021 season, the members-only Virtual In-Training for Publix Atlanta 5K Program features:
- Certified coaches and volunteer Run Leads to guide you while keeping you accountable
- Training grounded in science and experience guided by Atlanta Track Club's coaching philosophy
- Digital learning opportunities most Tuesday evenings at 8:00 p.m. led by Atlanta's running experts including veteran marathon coaches and racers, medical professionals, and elite athletes
- Deals and discounts from running specialty stores and sponsors
- Daily text/email reminders of workouts powered by Final Surge
- Online platforms to build community and camaraderie
This virtual training program is intended for beginners. While participants do not have to be consistently exercising prior to the program, all participants must be cleared by a medical professional that they are well enough to train.
Note: This In-Training program does not include entry into the Publix Atlanta 5K. Register for the race here. We encourage you to make sure you have a valid 2021 Atlanta Track Club Membership before you register for the race to ensure you received the lowest price for the event.
In some cases, the program may be shortened for late registrants. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in training with Atlanta Track Club but need to reduce the length of the program.
As a result of COVID, In-Training for Publix Atlanta 5K Beginners Program is a hybrid of our traditional training programs. It can be conducted virtually or a participant may join us for satellite midweek workouts and two Saturday long workouts conducted as a group. These group workouts will be conducted exclusively outdoors and with mitigation efforts in place.
Date & Time
First Practice: 1/11
- 5K - 3.1 Miles
- FREE - Members
- December 1 Registration opens
- January 10 Orientation
- January 11 Training begins
- January 13 Midweek workouts begin
- January 23 In-person group workout
- February 13 In-person group workout
- February 27 Race day!
- Midweek Workout Locations: Piedmont Park, Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m. and two other locations based on proximity to participants beginning January 13
- Long Workout Location: Atlanta Track Club Headquarters, 201 Armour Drive, Atlanta, GA 30324; January 23 and February 13 only.
Members - Free! (virtual training with in-person components). Limited to 50 participants.
- 7-week, scientifically grounded training program
- Online training log powered by Final Surge to meet your goals and provide daily reminders of workouts
- Weekly In-Training Newsletter with training tip video content and articles
- In-Training for Publix Atlanta 5K Beginners Program private Facebook group
- Online education including certified coach and Run Lead "ask me anything" sessions
- Online presentations by our guests including time for questions and answers on various educational topics including proper footwear, apparel, nutrition, goal setting, injury prevention, recovery and more
- Run Lead and coach to check in on your progress at regular intervals
- Two informal, in-person sessions on key workout days
The program is open to beginning runners and walkers that are members of Atlanta Track Club training to finish their first 5K.
- Level I: beginner runners and walkers 9:00-20:00 minutes per mile including intervals
We will kick off the program with an hour long online orientation in which Coach Amy will discuss the program's routines and expectations, explain Final Surge and its benefits, and answer your training questions. Sunday, 1/10 at 7:00 p.m..
-Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club, Lead Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Olympic Development Team, 2008 Olympian - 10,000m -Eric Heintz, Atlanta Track Club, Director - High Performance -Nick Del Guercio, Atlanta Track Club, Assistant Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Youth ProgramsCoaches' Profiles
- Nutrition and hydration
- Injury prevention
- Race day nerves
- Course strategy
GUESTS AND SPEAKERS
- Dr. Josh Glass, CCSP, Georgia Sports Chiropractic
- Dr. Kacy Seynders, PT, DPT, OCS, Precision Performance and Therapy
- Kelsey Smith, MS, RDN, LD
- Veteran Run Leads
- Atlanta Track Club coaches and more!
Frequently Asked Questions
I am not technologically savvy. Will I be trained on how to use all of the digital tools in the program?
Yes! Orientation, online videos, downloadable documents, and more will take you through the process step-by-step to maximize your experience.
Are there opportunities for interactions with coaches?
Yes! Tuesday evenings often feature online education sessions including opportunities for questions and answers. Coaches and Run Leads, experienced volunteers who assist with the program, are also present at the two group long workouts and the midweek workouts for in-person conversations. Your coach will also be available through email and in certain circumstances by phone.
Will I be able to schedule weekly one-on-one calls with my coach?
No, but you do you have digital correspondence and access at online educational sessions and our informal, in-person group workouts.
Are group interval/speedwork sessions included with this program?
No. Our midweek interval workouts are not yet appropriate for beginners. However, at three of the locations around Atlanta we will have a Run Lead to guide a beginners midweek run/walk.
Are supported, group workouts sponsored by Atlanta Track Club included with this program?
Yes; however, they will look and feel a bit different from the past. Two informal group workouts will take place on Saturdays in addition to the midweek group workouts at three locations. We will only be meeting outdoors. Many participants also meet at a variety of locations throughout the Atlanta metro area for informal group workouts and our private Facebook group and newsletter will help facilitate these workouts. When CDC recommendations change and the time is right our more structured, weekly group workouts will begin again.
Did you know as a member of Atlanta Track Club you receive a discount on all events. Join today to begin receiving discounts and the many other benefits of membership!