Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Atlanta Track Club for fresh articles!
Registration opens June 1st!
The In-Training Fall Beginners 5K Program is designed for participants hoping to finish their first 5K, the Invesco QQQ Thanksgiving Day 5K! The program is intended for both runners and walkers and combines structured workouts while training at home, at satellite locations and together at the Atlanta Track Club headquarters. It is free to all those who have a current Atlanta Track Club Membership, but it is limited to the first 50 registrants. If you are not yet a member, you can join here for just $35 as an individual or register as a non-member for $50.
The In-Training Fall Beginners 5K Program features:
- Certified coaches and volunteer Run Leads to guide you while keeping you accountable
- Training grounded in science and experience guided by Atlanta Track Club's coaching philosophy
- In-person, midweek practices throughout the Atlanta area
- In-person, Saturday practices at Atlanta Track Club Headquarters
- Digital learning opportunities most Tuesday evenings at 8:00 p.m. led by Atlanta's running and walking experts including former beginners who have been in your shoes, veteran coaches and racers, medical professionals, and elite athletes
- Daily text/email reminders of workouts powered by Final Surge
- Online platforms to build community and camaraderie
- Virtual options to train at home
- Double-wall stainless steel water bottle courtesy of Mizuno for in-person participants
This training program is intended for beginners aiming to complete their first 5K. While participants do not have to be consistently exercising prior to the program, all participants must be cleared by a medical professional that they are well enough to train.
Note: This In-Training program does not include entry into the Invesco QQQ Thanksgiving Day 5K. Register for the race here. We encourage you to make sure you have a current 2021 Atlanta Track Club Membership before you register for the race to ensure you receive the lowest price for the event.
In some cases, the program may be shortened for late registrants. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in training with Atlanta Track Club but need to reduce the length of the program.
Date & Time
Training Begins 9/27
- 5K - 3.1 Miles
- FREE - Members
- $50 - Non-Members
- June 1 Registration opens
- September 26 Orientation
- September 27 Training begins
- September 29 Midweek workouts begin
- October 2 In-person group workouts begin
- October 16 No in-person practice
- November 25 Race day!
- Midweek Workout Locations: Piedmont Park with Coach Amy, Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m. and two other locations based on proximity to participants
- Saturday Workout Location: Atlanta Track Club Headquarters, 201 Armour Drive, Atlanta, GA 30324
Members - Free! Non-Members - $50. Limited to 50 participants.
- 9-week, scientifically grounded training program
- Online training log powered by Final Surge to meet your goals and provide daily reminders of workouts
- Weekly In-Training Newsletter with training tip video content and articles
- In-Training Fall Beginners 5K program private Facebook group
- Online education including certified coach and Run Lead "ask me anything" sessions
- Online presentations by our guests including time for questions and answers on various educational topics including proper footwear, apparel, nutrition, goal setting, injury prevention, recovery and more
- Run Lead and coach to check in on your progress at regular intervals
- Accountability to reach your goals!
The program is open to beginning runners and walkers training to finish their first 5K.
- Level I: beginner runners and walkers 9:00-20:00 minutes per mile including intervals (walk/jog)
We will kick off the program with an hour long online orientation in which Coach Amy will discuss the program's routines and expectations, explain Final Surge and its benefits, and answer your training questions. Sunday, 9/27 at 7:00 p.m..
-Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club, Lead Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Olympic Development Team, 2008 Olympian - 10,000m -Eric Heintz, Atlanta Track Club, Director - High Performance -Eden Meyers, Atlanta Track Club Elite Athlete, Assistant Coach - In-Training ProgramsCoaches' Profiles
- Nutrition and hydration
- Injury prevention
- Race day nerves
- Course strategy
GUESTS AND SPEAKERS
- Dr. Josh Glass, CCSP, Georgia Sports Chiropractic
- Dr. Kacy Seynders, PT, DPT, OCS, Precision Performance and Therapy
- Kelsey Smith, MS, RDN, LD
- Veteran Run Leads
- Atlanta Track Club coaches and more!
Frequently Asked Questions
I am not technologically savvy. Will I be trained on how to use all of the digital tools in the program?
Yes! Orientation, online videos, downloadable documents, and more will take you through the process step-by-step to maximize your experience.
Are there opportunities for interactions with coaches?
Yes! Tuesday evenings often feature online education sessions including opportunities for questions and answers. Coaches and Run Leads, experienced volunteers who assist with the program, are also present at the Saturday long workouts and the midweek workouts for in-person conversations. Your coach will also be available through email and in certain circumstances by phone.
Will I be able to schedule weekly one-on-one calls with my coach?
No, but you do you have digital correspondence and access at online educational sessions and our informal, in-person group workouts.
Are group interval/speedwork sessions included with this program?
No. Our midweek interval workouts are not yet appropriate for beginners. However, at three of the locations around Atlanta, including Piedmont Park with Coach Amy, we will have a Run Lead or coach to guide a beginners midweek run/walk.
Are supported, group workouts sponsored by Atlanta Track Club included with this program?
Yes! Saturdays at Atlanta Track Club Headquarters will be the home for all of our In-Training participants.
Did you know as a member of Atlanta Track Club you receive a discount on all events. Join today to begin receiving discounts and the many other benefits of membership!