2022 In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon
The In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon program is designed for the runners and walkers hoping to improve performance over 26.2 or 13.1 miles and those aiming to complete the distance for the very first time. The program combines structured long workouts with additional midweek sessions to help you reach your goals while training at home, at our midweek workout locations, or at the Atlanta Track Club headquarters for critical long workouts.
The 2021-22 In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon features:
- Certified coaches and volunteer Run Leads to guide you while keeping you accountable
- Training grounded in science and experience guided by Atlanta Track Club's coaching philosophy
- Digital learning opportunities most Tuesday evenings at 8:00 p.m. led by Atlanta's running and walking experts including veteran coaches and racers, medical professionals, and elite athletes
- Additional customized training levels to meet your fitness and experience and prepare you for the Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon
- Daily text/email reminders of workouts powered by Final Surge
- Online platforms to build community and camaraderie
This training program is intended for both veterans and beginners. For those attempting the distance for the first time, we recommend that all marathon participants have consistently been training 15 or more miles total per week and recently completed a long workout of at least 9-10 miles. We recommend that first time half marathon participants have been consistently training 10 or more miles total per week and recently completed a long workout of 4 miles or more.
Note: This In-Training program does not include entry into the Publix Atlanta Marathon or Half Marathon.
In some cases, the program may be shortened for late registrants. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in training with Atlanta Track Club but need to reduce the length of the program.
In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon can be completed virtually or a participant may join the in-person, midweek, small group workouts and Saturday long workouts. In-person workouts will begin on Wednesday, January 5 and Saturday, January 8.
DATE & TIME
- 11/22 -Marathon
- 12/6 - Half Marathon
- Marathon - 26.2 miles
- Half Marathon - 13.1 miles
- $135 - Marathon (in-person), $120 - Marathon (virtual)
- $125 - Half Marathon (in-person), $110 - Half Marathon (virtual)
Marathon training begins
Half Marathon orientation, Marathon registration closes
Half Marathon training begins
Half Marathon registration closes
In-person midweek workouts begin
In-person group long workouts begin
Wednesday Workout Locations:
Participants select their preferred Wednesday locations during registration. Participants should arrive 15 minutes early to warm up and stretch for both Saturday and Wednesday workouts.
- Saturday Workout Location:
- Atlanta Track Club Headquarters, 201 Armour Drive - 7:30 a.m.
- Midweek Workout Locations:
- Decatur, East Lake Marta Station (West Howard side), 2260 College Ave, Wednesdays - 6:30 p.m.
- Fowler Park, Cumming, Wednesdays - TBD
- Peachtree Middle School, Track, Dunwoody, Wednesdays - TBD
- Piedmont Park with Coach Amy, Active Oval, Wednesdays - 5:45 p.m.
- Riverside Park, Roswell, Wednesdays - TBD
- Swift Cantrell Park, Flag Poles, Kennesaw, TBD
- More to be added soon!
Locations subject to change based on demand and participation.
- In-Person - $135.00
- Virtual - $120.00
- In-Person - $125.00
- Virtual - $110.00
- Refund Policy: registration is non-refundable* and non-transferable.
- Refunds for medical reasons may be accepted and must be submitted with a physician's letter prior to the close of registration. A $25.00 processing fee will be retained.
We will kick off the program with an hour long online orientation in which Coach Amy will discuss the program's routines and expectations, explain Final Surge and its benefits, and answer your training questions. Marathon - Sunday, 11/21 at 7:00 p.m., Half marathon - Sunday 12/5 at 7:00 p.m..
Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club, Lead Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Olympic Development Team, 2008 Olympian - 10,000m Eric Heintz, Atlanta Track Club, Director - High Performance
- Nutrition and hydration
- Injury prevention
- Goal setting
- Race day nerves
- Course strategy
- Sports bra basics
- Heart rate training and effort-based training
GUESTS AND SPEAKERS
- Alissa Pallidino, MS, RDN, LD, ACSM-CPT
- Dr. Josh Glass, CCSP, Georgia Sports Chiropractic
- Dr. Kacy Senders, PT, DPT, OCS, Precision Performance and Therapy
- Kelsey Smith, MS, RDN, LD
- Dr. Perry Julien, DPM, Atlanta Foot and Ankle Center
- Veteran Run Leads
- Olympian and coach Amy Begley
- High Performance Director Eric Heintz
- Local running specialty stores and more!
Frequently Asked Questions
I am not technologically savvy. Will I be trained on how to use all of the digital tools in the program?
Yes! Orientation, online videos, downloadable documents, and more will take you through the process step-by-step to maximize your experience.
Customization and Coaching
What do you mean by customized or individualized coaching?
The program offers a variety of training levels based on mileage, experience, and goals. The program also provides the tools to customize your paces for easy runs and walks in addition to harder workouts such as tempos and speedwork. Participants have the ability to move training days based on their work and life schedules. While a certified coach will look after your training and keep you accountable, it is not a one-on-one coaching program with unlimited access to the coach.
Are there opportunities for interactions with coaches?
Yes! Tuesday evenings often feature online education sessions including opportunities for questions and answers. Coaches and Run Leads, experienced volunteers who assist with the program, are also present at midweek workout locations for in-person conversations. Finally, there are plenty of opportunities at the Saturday long workouts to talk with coaches or Run Leads. Your coach will also be available through email and in certain circumstances by phone.
Will I be able to schedule weekly one-on-one calls with my coach?
No, but you do have digital correspondence and access at midweek workouts, online educational sessions and our in-person long workouts. In some situations, phone calls may be the most appropriate and efficient form of communication.
Are group interval/speedwork sessions included with this program?
Yes! Our midweek workouts will begin January 5 at locations around Atlanta.
Are supported, group long workouts sponsored by Atlanta Track Club included with this program?
Yes! Our long workouts begin on January 8 at Atlanta Track Club headquarters.
Did you know as a member of Atlanta Track Club you receive a discount on all events. Join today to begin receiving discounts and the many other benefits of membership!