Marathons and half marathons are challenging. Let us help you run your best race with In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon. In-Training is Atlanta Track Club's premium training program designed to help you prepare for Atlanta Track Club events.
In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon program is designed for runners and walkers who want to improve their marathon or half marathon performance and those aiming to complete the distance for the very first time. The program combines structured long workouts with additional midweek workouts to help you reach your goals with the support of a community or without having to leave your neighborhood.
The 2022-23 In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon Program features:
- Training grounded in science developed by Atlanta Track Club's High Performance Team
- In-person and virtual options
- Certified coaches to guide you while keeping you accountable
- Online learning opportunities on Tuesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. led by Atlanta's running and walking subject matter experts followed by Q&A
- Small group workouts throughout the city during the week and larger group workouts on Saturdays
- Course specific field trips so you train on the actual marathon and half marathon course
- Customized training levels to meet your fitness, experience, and goals
- Daily text/email reminders of workouts powered by Final Surge
- Online platforms to build community and camaraderie
- In-Training shirt. Only virtual participant shirts will be mailed.
This training program accommodates both advanced and beginner athletes. For those attempting the distance for the first time, we recommend that all marathon participants have consistently been training 15 or more miles total per week and recently completed a long workout of at least 9-10 miles. We recommend that first time half marathon participants have been consistently training 10 or more miles total per week and recently completed a long workout of 4 miles or more.
Note: This In-Training program does not include entry into the Publix Atlanta Marathon or Half Marathon.
In some cases, the program may be shortened for late registrants. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in training with Atlanta Track Club but need to reduce the length of the program.
In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon can be completed virtually or a participant may join the in-person, midweek, small group workouts and Saturday long workouts. In-person workouts will begin on Wednesday, January 4 and Saturday, January 7.
- Marathon - 26.2 miles
- Half Marathon - 13.1 miles
- $150 - Marathon (in-person), $135 - Marathon (virtual)
- $135 - Half Marathon (in-person), $120 - Half Marathon (virtual)
Marathon orientation - online at 7:00 p.m.
Marathon training begins
Half Marathon orientation - online at 7:00 p.m.
Half Marathon training begins, Marathon registration closes
Half Marathon registration closes
In-person midweek workouts begin
In-person long workouts begin
Course preview field trip, location TBD
Course preview field trip, location TBD
- Saturday Workout Locations:
- Atlanta Track Club Headquarters, 201 Armour Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30324 - 7:15 a.m.
- Two course preview field trips, locations TBD - 7:15 a.m.
- Wednesday Midweek Workout Locations:
- Cheney Stadium with Coach Bob, 741 Connally Street SE, Atlanta, GA 30315 - 6:20 a.m.
- Pending participation: Riverside Park, 575 Riverside Road, Roswell, GA 30075 - 6:20 a.m.
- Pending participation: East Lake Marta Station (West Howard side), 2260 College Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30307 - 6:30 p.m.
- Pending participation: Peachtree Middle School Track, 4664 North Peachtree Road, Atlanta, GA 30338 - 6:00 p.m.
- Piedmont Park with Coach Bob, Dockside (or Active Oval), Atlanta, GA 30309 - 6:00 p.m.
- Pending participation: Swift Cantrell Park, 3140 Old 41 Highway NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144 - 6:30 p.m.
Locations subject to change based on demand and participation.
- In-Person - $150.00
- Virtual - $135.00
- In-Person - $135.00
- Virtual - $120.00
- Refund Policy: Training registration is non-refundable* and non-transferable.
- *Refunds are for medical reasons only and must be submitted with a physician's letter prior to the close of registration. A $25.00 processing fee will be retained.
- This training program does not include entry into the Publix Atlanta Marathon or Publix Atlanta Half Marathon.
We will kickoff the program with a 60 minute online orientation in which Coach Bob will provide an overview of the program, explain Final Surge and its benefits, and answer your training questions.
- Marathon orientation - Sunday, 11/20 at 7:00 p.m. on Zoom
- Half marathon orientation - Sunday 12/4 at 7:00 p.m. on Zoom
Bob Wells, Atlanta Track Club, Manager & Coach - In-Training Programs | Eric Heintz, Atlanta Track Club, Director - High Performance | Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club, Lead Coach - Olympic Development Team, 2008 Olympian - 10,000m
Become A Member
Did you know as a member of Atlanta Track Club you receive a discount on all events and programs including In-Training. Join today to begin receiving discounts and the many other benefits of membership!
Frequently Asked Questions
I am not technologically savvy. Will I be trained on how to use all of the digital tools in the program?
Yes! Orientation, online videos, downloadable documents, and more will take you through the process step-by-step to maximize your experience.
Customization and Coaching
What do you mean by customized or individualized coaching?
The program offers a variety of training levels based on mileage, experience, and goals. The program also provides the tools to customize your paces for easy runs and walks in addition to harder workouts such as tempos and speedwork. Participants have the ability to move training days based on their work and life schedules. While a certified coach will look after your training and keep you accountable, it is not a one-on-one coaching program with unlimited access to the coach.
Are there opportunities for interactions with coaches?
Yes! Tuesday evenings often feature online education sessions including opportunities for questions and answers. Coaches and Run Leads, experienced volunteers who assist with the program, are also present at midweek workout locations for in-person conversations. Finally, there are plenty of opportunities at the Saturday long workouts to talk with coaches or Run Leads. Your coach will also be available through email and in certain circumstances by phone.
Will I be able to schedule weekly one-on-one calls with my coach?
No, but you do have digital correspondence and access at midweek workouts, online educational sessions and our in-person long workouts. In some situations, phone calls may be the most appropriate and efficient form of communication.
Are group interval/speedwork sessions included with this program?
Yes! Our midweek workouts will begin January 4 at locations around Atlanta.
Are supported, group long workouts sponsored by Atlanta Track Club included with this program?
Yes! Our long workouts begin on January 7 at Atlanta Track Club headquarters.