ATLANTA -- September 26, 2018 -- It is time to get excited for running, racing and training in 2019! Atlanta Track Club unveiled its event calendar for the year this week and we want to address a few changes and additions. As always, if you have a question or concern, feel free to email us at [email protected].
- The Southside 12K is back for a second year! This year, the race moves to January 12. It will be the second race of the Grand Prix Series presented by Piedmont Healthcare. Registration opens December 12.
- The course for the 2020 Olympic Team Trials – Marathon will be released at the end of 2018. It will be a criterium style course featuring four six-mile loops and one 2.2 mile loop. In March, the Olympic Trials Tune-Up on March 2 will be a chance for the pros and the public to be the first runners to tackle eight miles of the course. Since the trials themselves are not open to everyone, this will be your best chance to stand on the starting line with Olympic hopefuls. It’s also a great chance to get a personal best in a new distance! Registration will open in November.
- The former Be Healthy Georgia Festival is now the Publix Atlanta Kids Marathon! Held on Saturday, March 16, the day before the Publix Atlanta Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K, this race is a great place for Kilometer Kids and other school and youth teams to show off their skills! Three distances will be available: 2.62K (ages 7-14), 262 meters (ages 4-8), 26.2 meters (ages 4 and under). Age group awards will be given for the 2.62K race. Teams of 15 or more runners will be eligible for scholarship money for their schools or groups. All finishers receive a T-shirt and a medal. Registration opens in January.
- Locations for the All Comers Track & Field Meets will be announced in early 2019.
- The Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Peachtree Junior is now part of the AJC Peachtree Road Race celebration! To mark the 50th Running of the world’s largest 10K, runners ages 14 and under will cross the same finish line on July 3 as the 60,000 participants of the Peachtree cross on July 4. Registration opens on March 15.
- The Decatur Dekalb 4 Miler moves to August 3 in 2019. This gives runners and walkers a chance to recover from the AJC Peachtree Road Race before racing again.
- Those attending Grand Prix Finale and Volunteer Awards will get a unique chance to practice their cheering for the 2020 Olympic Team Trials – Marathon! The annual event will be held on December 7 as the trials course will be open for Olympic hopefuls to test the course just 12 weeks before the big race. America’s best marathoners will have the opportunity to run or workout on the roads they’ll race in February. This is however, not a race and not open to the public. But everyone is invited and encouraged to come support their favorite runners.