Sustainability at the Peachtree
In 2019, Atlanta Track Club has committed to implementing green initiatives that reduce waste, promote sustainable and responsible consumption and support the local community of Atlanta. With the Club hosting nearly 150,000 participants annually- 60,000 of them at the AJC Peachtree Road Race alone- we realize the importance of taking steps to promote greater environmental responsibility within Running City USA.
Goals for the 50th Running of the AJC Peachtree Road Race:
- Reduce the Club's environmental footprint by diverting at least 80 percent of plastic and aluminum waste from the landfill.
- Track and record measurements and statistics on waste diverted from the landfill.
- Report the Club's efforts publicly.
- Produce 12 recycled plastic park benches out of the plastic recycled on race day to then be given to the Atlanta BeltLine.
What We Are Doing
- Peachtree Health & Fitness Expo: The Georgia World Congress Center, the home of the Expo, is the largest LEED certified convention center in the U.S. We are working with them to recycle Expo waste and receive specific data of waste diverted from the landfill.
- Recycling Centers on Race Day: For the first time, we will designate "Recycling Centers" in the finish area of Piedmont Park.
- Green Team Volunteers: Each recycling center will be manned by Green Team Volunteers, individuals dedicated to helping participants recycle. In green vests, they are there to assist with placing the proper waste in each container.
- Member Area: Are you an Atlanta Track Club member? At the post-race member party in Park Tavern, take notice of our first-ever compost bins. This will be the first time EVER composting at the Peachtree. Fruit peels, Popsicle sticks and napkins can be thrown into these containers.
What You Can Do To Help
- Carpool: Participants are encouraged to carpool or use a rideshare company, such as Lyft, to get to and from the Peachtree Health & Fitness Expo.
- Public Transportation: Atlanta Track Club is proud to partner with MARTA in order to accommodate participants during for the Expo and on race day. Please reference the MARTA section above for detailed info.
- Recycle on Race Day, Know Before You Throw: The Dasani plastic water bottle you'll receive once you cross the finish line is recyclable. A variety of Coca-Cola products in aluminum cans and Powerade drinks also in plastic bottles can all be thrown in the recycling receptacles.
- Compost in the Member Area: Be on the lookout for our compost bins and discard your waste properly.
- Refill Your Georgia Lottery Water Bottle:Thanks to one of our newest sponsors, Georgia Lottery, you will receive a refillable water bottle once you cross the finish line. Be sure to take full advantage of this and hydrate by visiting one of our Water Monster refilling stations in The Meadow.
- Volunteer with the Green Team: Do you have a special interest in helping with the Club's Green Initiative at the Peachtree or other events? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.