Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Atlanta Track Club for fresh articles!
The Virtual In-Training for Fall Marathons program is designed for the experienced racer hoping to improve performance over 26.2 miles. Designed to fit your racing calendar, the program will guide you toward a course best at Boston, Chicago, Marine Corps, New York City or any marathon throughout the fall. The 16 week* program combines structured long runs with additional mid-week workouts to help you reach your goals while training at home.
New in 2020, the Virtual In-Training for Fall Marathons features:
- Certified coaches and volunteer Run Leads to guide you while keeping you accountable
- Digital learning opportunities most Tuesday evenings at 8:00 p.m. led by Atlanta's running experts including veteran marathon coaches and racers
- Additional customized training levels to meet your fitness and experience
- Deals and discounts from running specialty stores and sponsors
- Daily text/email reminders of workouts powered by Final Surge
- Online platforms to build community and camaraderie
We recommend that participants have consistently been training 15 or more miles per week, recently completed a long run of at least 7-10 miles and previously completed a marathon. While virtual In-Training for Fall Marathons is not intended for beginners, Atlanta Track Club does offer a first marathon program during In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon.
Note: This virtual training program does not include entry into a fall marathon.
*In some cases, the program may be shortened. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in training with Atlanta Track Club but need to reduce the length of the program.
Date & Time
16 weeks before your fall marathon
- Marathon - 26.2 miles
- May 23 Registration opens
- June 4 Orientations begin online at 8:00 p.m., 3 days prior to training
- June 7 Boston Marathon training begins
- June 21 Chicago Marathon training begins
- July 5 Marine Corps Marathon training begins
- July 12 New York City Marathon training begins
- August 8 Registration closes
- *When CDC recommendations for limiting gatherings expire, these group workouts may resume*
- Wednesday Workout Locations: Participants can attend any of the Wednesday locations. Please see newsletter for the specific details. Participants should arrive 15 minutes early to warm up and stretch.
- Cheney Stadium, Track, Atlanta, Wednesdays - 6:00 a.m.
- Peachtree Middle School, Track, Dunwoody, Wednesdays, 6:00 p.m.
- Piedmont Park, Active Oval, Wednesdays - 6:00 p.m.
- Swift Cantrell Park, Flag Poles, Kennesaw, Wednesdays - 6:30 p.m.
- Tucker High School, Track, Tucker, Wednesdays - 6:00 p.m.
- More to be added soon!
$120.00 ($30.00 per month), virtual training only
- Refund Policy: Virtual training registration is non-refundable and non-transferable
- 16-week training program
- Tiered online training log to meet your goals and provide daily reminders of workouts
- Weekly In-Training Newsletter with training tip video content and articles
- In-Training for Fall Marathons private Facebook group
- Online education including certified coach and Run Lead "ask me anything" sessions
- Online presentations by our guests including time for questions and answers on various educational topics including proper footwear, apparel, nutrition, goal setting, injury prevention, recovery and more
- Run Lead and coach to check in on your progress at regular intervals
The program is open to runners and walkers who have previously completed a marathon and are training consistently.
- Level II: runners and walkers 7:00-16:00 minutes per mile including intervals currently completing 15 or fewer miles per week
- Level III: experienced runners and walkers 7:00-16:00 minutes per mile including intervals currently completing 16-30 miles per week
- Level IV: advanced runners 5:00-10:00 minutes per mile pace currently completing 31+ miles per week and at least one speed work session or tempo run per week
We will kick off the program with an hour long online orientation in which Coach Amy will discuss the program's routines and expectations, explain Final Surge and its benefits, and answer your training questions. 8:00 p.m. on Zoom three days before your program begins.
Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club, Lead Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Olympic Development Team, 2008 Olympian - 10,000m Eric Heintz, Atlanta Track Club, Director - High Performance Patrick Peterson, Atlanta Track Club, Olympic Development Team Athlete, Assistant Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Youth ProgramsCoaches' Profiles
- Nutrition and hydration
- Injury prevention
- Goal setting
- Race day nerves
- Course strategy
- Sports bra basics
- Heart rate training and effort-based training
GUESTS AND SPEAKERS
- To be announced soon!
Frequently Asked Questions - Virtual
I am not technologically savvy. Will I be trained on how to use all of the digital tools in the program?
Yes! Orientation, online videos, downloadable documents, and more will take you through the process step-by-step to maximize your experience.
Customization and Coaching
What do you mean by customized or individualized coaching?
The program offers a variety of training levels based on mileage, experience, and goals. The program also provides the tools to customize your paces for easy runs and walks in addition to harder workouts such as tempos and speedwork. Participants have the ability to move training days based on their work and life schedules. While a certified coach will look after your training and keep you accountable, it is not a personal coaching program with unlimited access to the coach.
Are there opportunities for interactions with coaches?
Yes! Tuesday evenings often feature online education sessions including opportunities for questions and answers. Coaches and Run Leads, experienced volunteers who assist with the program, are also present at midweek workout locations for in-person conversations. Your coach will also be available through email any time and in certain circumstances by phone.
Will I be able to schedule weekly one-on-one calls with my coach?
No, but you do you have unlimited digital correspondence and access at midweek workouts and online educational sessions.
Are group interval/speedwork sessions included with this program?
Yes! Although current CDC recommendations do not permit gatherings such as our midweek workouts, when the time is right we will begin to meet again.
Are supported, group long runs sponsored by Atlanta Track Club included with this program?
No; however, many participants meet at a variety of locations throughout the Atlanta metro area for informal group long runs. When CDC recommendations change and the time is right they will begin again.
Become a Member
Did you know as a member of Atlanta Track Club you receive a discount on all events. Join today to begin receiving discounts and the many other benefits of membership!