Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Atlanta Track Club for fresh articles!
The fall marathon tradition continues in 2021! While some are training for a personal record in Chicago or Boston, others to finish their first marathon in New York, and some to stay in shape for the spring season, Atlanta Track Club's In-Training for Fall Marathons program is designed to meet your needs while training at home or in-person. The 14-week program combines structured long runs with additional midweek workouts to help you reach your goals with the support of a community or without having to leave your neighborhood. You pick the marathon and we help you prepare!
In 2021, the In-Training for Fall Marathons program will feature:
- In-person and virtual options
- Certified coaches to guide you while keeping you accountable
- Digital learning opportunities on Tuesday evenings at 8:00 p.m. led by Atlanta's running and walking experts
- Small group workouts throughout the city during the week and larger long runs on Saturdays
- Additional customized training levels to meet your fitness, experience, and goals
- Individualized workouts to prepare you for the marathon of your choice
- Daily text/email reminders of workouts powered by Final Surge
- Online platforms to build community and camaraderie
- Double-wall stainless steel water bottle courtesy Mizuno for new, in-person participants; returning participants get a sticker to add to your bottle to show your veteran status!
While there are no specific event course limit paces for this training program, we recommend that training participants be able to maintain 14 min/mile for at 10-13 miles at the start of training. This program is not intended for beginners.
Note: This training program does not include entry into the marathon for which you are training. There are no in-person training sessions during the month of July. All in-person training begins in August.
Date & Time
Begins 14 Weeks Before Your Marathon
- $105.00 (Virtual)
- $135.00 (In-Person)
- May 28 Registration opens
- June 27 Orientation, Boston/Chicago - online at 7:00 p.m.
- July 5 Training begins, Boston/Chicago Marathons
- August 1 Orientation, New York City - online at 7:00 p.m.
- August 2 Training begins, New York City Marathon
- August 4 Regional, in-person, midweek workouts begin
- August 7 In-person, Saturday, long runs begin
- August 15 Registration closes
- September 4 No practice
- September 25 No practice
- Saturday Workout Locations: In-person participants should arrive 15 minutes early to warm up and stretch.
- Atlanta Track Club Headquarters, 201 Armour Drive - 7:30 a.m.
- Saturday locations may rotate throughout the city to provide a variety of settings for long runs
- Wednesday Workout Locations: In-person participants select one location during registration. Participants should arrive 15 minutes early to warm up and stretch. These locations are subject to change based on participation.
- TBD - Decatur, East Lake Marta Station (West Howard side), 2260 College Ave, Wednesdays - 6:30 p.m.
- TBD - Fowler Park, Cumming, Wednesdays - 6:00 p.m.
- TBD - Peachtree Middle School, Track, Dunwoody, Wednesdays - 5:30 p.m.
- Piedmont Park with Coach Amy, Active Oval, Wednesdays - 5:45 p.m.
- TBD - Piedmont Park, Active Oval, Thursdays - 6:00 a.m.
- TBD - Riverside Park, Roswell, Wednesdays - 6:30 a.m.
- TBD - Silver Comet Trail, Nickajack Elementary Trailhead, Wednesdays - 6:00 p.m.
- TBD - Swift Cantrell Park, Flag Poles, Kennesaw, Wednesdays - 6:30 p.m.
$105.00, virtual option
$135.00, in-person option
- Refund Policy: Training registration is non-refundable* and non-transferable.
- *Refunds are for medical reasons only and must be submitted with a physician's letter prior to the close of registration. A $25.00 processing fee will be retained.
- This training program does not include entry into the marathon for which you are training.
- 14-week training program
- Tiered online training log to meet your goals and provide daily reminders of workouts
- Weekly In-Training newsletter with training tip video content and articles
- In-Training for Fall Marathons private Facebook group
- Online education including certified coach and Run Lead "ask me anything" sessions
- Online presentations by our guests with time for questions and answers on various educational topics including proper footwear, apparel, nutrition, goal setting, injury prevention, recovery and more
- Run Lead and coach to check in on your progress at regular intervals
The program is open to runners and run/walk interval users but is not intended for beginners or dedicated walkers
- Level II: runners and walkers 7:00-14:00 minutes per mile including intervals currently completing 15 or fewer miles per week
- Level III: experienced runners and walkers 7:00-14:00 minutes per mile including intervals currently completing 16-30 miles per week
- Level IV: advanced runners 5:00-10:00 minutes per mile pace currently completing 31+ miles per week and at least one speed work session or tempo run per week
We will kickoff the program with a 60 minute online orientation in which Coach Amy will discuss the program's routines and expectations, explain Final Surge and its benefits, and answer your training questions. Sunday, June 27 and Sunday August 1 at 7:00 p.m. on Zoom.
Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club, Lead Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Olympic Development Team, 2008 Olympian - 10,000m Eric Heintz, Atlanta Track Club, Director - High Performance Eden Meyer, Atlanta Track Club, Olympic Development Team Athlete, Assistant Coach - In-Training ProgramsCoaches' Profiles
- Nutrition and hydration
- Injury prevention
- Goal setting
- Race day nerves
- Course strategy
- Sports bra basics
- The how's and why's of workouts
- Heart rate training
GUESTS AND SPEAKERS
- Alissa Pallidino, MS, RDN, LD, ACSM-CPT
- Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club Head Coach, Elite and In-Training
- Eric Heintz, Atlanta Track Club Director, High Performance
- Dr. Josh Glass, CCSP, Georgia Sports Chiropractic
- Dr. Kacy Senders, PT, DPT, OCS, Precision Performance and Therapy
- Kelsey Smith, MS, RDN, LD
- Dr. Perry Julien, DPM, Atlanta Foot and Ankle Center
- Veteran Run Leads and more!
Become a Member
Did you know as a member of Atlanta Track Club you receive a discount on events and programs. Join today to begin receiving discounts and the many other benefits of membership!
Frequently Asked Questions
I am not technologically savvy. Will I be trained on how to use all of the digital tools in the program?
Yes! Orientation, online videos, downloadable documents, and more will take you through the process step-by-step to maximize your experience.
Do I have to type my workouts into Final Surge?
No, the platform will sync with your watch to allow for a seamless experience.
Customization and Coaching
What do you mean by customized or individualized coaching?
The program offers a variety of training levels based on mileage, experience, and goals. The program also provides the tools to customize your paces for easy runs and walks in addition to harder workouts such as tempos and speedwork. Participants have the ability to move training days based on their work and life schedules. While a certified coach and Run Lead will look after your training and keep you accountable, it is not a personal one-on-one coaching program with unlimited access.
Are there opportunities for interactions with coaches?
Yes! Tuesday evenings feature online education sessions including opportunities for questions and answers. Coaches and Run Leads, experienced volunteers who assist with the program, are also present at midweek and Saturday workout locations for in-person conversations. Your coach will also be available through email any time and in certain circumstances by phone.
Will I be able to schedule weekly one-on-one calls with my coach?
No, but you do have digital correspondence, the online education sessions, and in-person access at midweek and Saturday workouts.
Are group interval/speedwork sessions included with this program?
Yes! The in-person program features group workouts at various locations throughout the city.
Are supported, group long runs sponsored by Atlanta Track Club included with this program?
Yes! The in-person program features supported long runs and workouts.