Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Atlanta Track Club for fresh articles!
Registration opens 11/1!
The In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon program is designed for the runners and walkers hoping to improve performance over 26.2 or 13.1 miles and those aiming to complete the distance for the very first time. The program combines structured long runs with additional mid-week workouts to help you reach your goals while training at home, at our midweek workout locations, and together at the Atlanta Track Club headquarters for critical long runs.
New for the 2020-21 program, In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon features:
- Certified coaches and volunteer Run Leads to guide you while keeping you accountable
- Training grounded in science and experience guided by Atlanta Track Club's coaching philosophy
- Digital learning opportunities most Tuesday evenings at 8:00 p.m. led by Atlanta's running experts including veteran marathon coaches and racers, medical professionals, and elite athletes
- Additional customized training levels to meet your fitness and experience
- Deals and discounts from running specialty stores and sponsors
- Daily text/email reminders of workouts powered by Final Surge
- Online platforms to build community and camaraderie
This training program is intended for both veterans and beginners. For those attempting the distance for the first time, we recommend that marathon participants have consistently been training 15 or more miles per week and recently completed a long workout of at least 9-10 miles. We recommend that first time half marathon participants have been consistently training 10 or more miles per week and recently completed a long workout of 4 miles or more.
Note: This In-Training program does not include entry into the Publix Atlanta Marathon or Half Marathon.
In some cases, the program may be shortened for late registrants. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in training with Atlanta Track Club but need to reduce the length of the program.
As a result of COVID, In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon is a hybrid of our traditional training programs. It can be conducted virtually or a participant may join the in-person, midweek, small group workouts and informal long runs. Only three Saturday long runs will be conducted as a group and they will be less structured. In each case, the group workouts will be conducted exclusively outdoors and with mitigation efforts in place.
Date & Time
First Practice: 11/23 - Marathon, 12/7 - Half Marathon
- Marathon - 26.2 miles
- Half Marathon - 13.1 miles
- $105 - Marathon
- $90 - Half Marathon ($30 per month)
- November 1 Registration opens
- November 17 Marathon orientation
- November 23 Marathon training begins
- December 1 Half marathon orientation
- December 7 Half marathon training begins
- January 6 In-person midweek workouts begin
- January 9 In-person group long run
- January 23 In-person group long run
- February 13 In-person group long run
- February 28 Race day!
- *These will begin on January 6 with COVID mitigation efforts in place*
- Wednesday Workout Locations: Participants can attend any of the Wednesday locations. Please see newsletter for the specific details. Participants should arrive 15 minutes early to warm up and stretch.
- Decatur, East Lake Marta Station (West Howard side), 2260 College Ave, Wednesdays - 6:30 p.m.
- Fowler Park, Cumming, Wednesdays - 6:00 p.m.
- Peachtree Middle School, Track, Dunwoody, Wednesdays - 5:30 p.m.
- Piedmont Park with Coach Amy, Active Oval, Wednesdays - 5:45 p.m.
- Piedmont Park, Active Oval, Thursdays - 6:00 a.m.
- Riverside Park, Roswell, Wednesdays - 6:30 a.m.
- Silver Comet Trail, Nickajack Elementary Trailhead, TBD
- Swift Cantrell Park, Flag Poles, Kennesaw, TBD
- More to be added soon!
- Long Run Location: Atlanta Track Club Headquarters, 201 Armour Drive, Atlanta, GA 30324; January 9, January 23, and February 13 only.
- Locations subject to change based on demand and participation
Marathon - $105.00, Half marathon - $90.00 ($30.00 per month), virtual training with in-person components
- Refund Policy: Virtual training registration is non-refundable and non-transferable
- 12-14 week, scientifically grounded training program
- Tiered online training log powered by Final Surge to meet your goals and provide daily reminders of workouts
- Weekly In-Training Newsletter with training tip video content and articles
- In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon private Facebook group
- Online education including certified coach and Run Lead "ask me anything" sessions
- Online presentations by our guests including time for questions and answers on various educational topics including proper footwear, apparel, nutrition, goal setting, injury prevention, recovery and more
- Run Lead and coach to check in on your progress at regular intervals
- In-person midweek workouts at locations throughout Atlanta beginning January 6
- Three informal, in-person long runs on key workout days
The program is open to runners and walkers of all ability and experience levels.
- Level I: beginner runners and walkers 9:00-18:00 minutes per mile including intervals (half marathon only)
- Level II: runners and walkers 7:00-16:00 minutes per mile including intervals currently completing 15 or fewer miles per week
- Level III: experienced runners and walkers 7:00-16:00 minutes per mile including intervals currently completing 16-30 miles per week
- Level IV: advanced runners 5:00-10:00 minutes per mile pace currently completing 31+ miles per week and at least one speed work session or tempo run per week
We will kick off the program with an hour long online orientation in which Coach Amy will discuss the program's routines and expectations, explain Final Surge and its benefits, and answer your training questions. Marathon - Tuesday, 11/17 at 7:00 p.m., Half marathon - Tuesday 12/1 at 7:00 p.m..
Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club, Lead Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Olympic Development Team, 2008 Olympian - 10,000m Eric Heintz, Atlanta Track Club, Director - High Performance Nick Del Guercio, Atlanta Track Club, Assistant Coach - In-Training Programs, Lead Coach - Youth ProgramsCoaches' Profiles
- Nutrition and hydration
- Injury prevention
- Goal setting
- Race day nerves
- Course strategy
- Sports bra basics
- Heart rate training and effort-based training
GUESTS AND SPEAKERS
- Alissa Pallidino, MS, RDN, LD, ACSM-CPT
- Dr. Josh Glass, CCSP, Georgia Sports Chiropractic
- Dr. Kacy Senders, PT, DPT, OCS, Precision Performance and Therapy
- Kelsey Smith, MS, RDN, LD
- Dr. Perry Julien, DPM, Atlanta Foot and Ankle Center
- Veteran Run Leads
- Atlanta Track Club coaches
- Fleet Feet - Decatur
- West Stride and more!
Frequently Asked Questions
I am not technologically savvy. Will I be trained on how to use all of the digital tools in the program?
Yes! Orientation, online videos, downloadable documents, and more will take you through the process step-by-step to maximize your experience.
Customization and Coaching
What do you mean by customized or individualized coaching?
The program offers a variety of training levels based on mileage, experience, and goals. The program also provides the tools to customize your paces for easy runs and walks in addition to harder workouts such as tempos and speedwork. Participants have the ability to move training days based on their work and life schedules. While a certified coach will look after your training and keep you accountable, it is not a personal coaching program with unlimited access to the coach.
Are there opportunities for interactions with coaches?
Yes! Tuesday evenings often feature online education sessions including opportunities for questions and answers. Coaches and Run Leads, experienced volunteers who assist with the program, are also present at midweek workout locations for in-person conversations. Your coach will also be available through email any time and in certain circumstances by phone.
Will I be able to schedule weekly one-on-one calls with my coach?
No, but you do you have digital correspondence and access at midweek workouts, online educational sessions and our informal, in-person long runs.
Are group interval/speedwork sessions included with this program?
Yes! Our midweek workouts will begin January 6 at locations around Atlanta.
Are supported, group long runs sponsored by Atlanta Track Club included with this program?
Yes; however, they will look and feel a bit different from the past. Three informal group long runs will take place but not all paces may be supported and we will be meeting outdoors only. Many participants also meet at a variety of locations throughout the Atlanta metro area for informal group long runs and our private Facebook group and newsletter will help facilitate these workouts. When CDC recommendations change and the time is right our more structured, weekly group long runs will begin again.
Did you know as a member of Atlanta Track Club you receive a discount on all events. Join today to begin receiving discounts and the many other benefits of membership!